🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game development with Unity without Unity editor. Is it possible?

Started by
2 comments, last by Shaarigan 4 years, 1 month ago

Hello.

I'd like to describe the situation.

My name is Constantine.

I'm blind. Completely blind.

Among blind programmers, there are those who develop audio games.

What does it look like?

Imagine GTA, Mafia, Call Of Duty, any shooter. Only without graphics, and without sight height. And you are guided by 3D sound, shoot at the sound, etc.

Recently, a lot of those who write in Python. But personally, I'd not trust Python with a good online project...

To work with a computer, we use screen access programs. Programs that voice everything on the computer screen.

You can read more about it here:

https://www.vincit.com/blog/software-development-450-words-per-minute

https://medium.com/free-code-camp/looking-back-to-what-started-it-all-731ef5424aec

Why can't we use video game engines?

Because not all of them are access to us. The most popular, Unity and Unreal Engine, are not available for our programs.

What is the problem with Unity?

Unity editor isn't accessible. Absolutely.

I don’t know with what tools it was developed, but navigation through the interface is unrealistic.

Blind developers have repeatedly written about this on Unity's official websites, but alas, they have not heard us for many years.

My question is:

How much needs to be done in the Unity editor? How is it possible and is it possible to write the game code in code editor without resorting to the Unity editor, or can this be minimized, which can be done on Autoit?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Hi Constantine,

In the current state it would be impossible to develop game without Unity Editor, Unity is design to be very open and allow you to work an any type of game. If you would aim to make game in unity using only code not only you will had write a lot of more code, for example you would need to create your objects and attach all the components to them like physic, coliders than set all the parameters, this can be crazy time consuming to do something simple.

However Unity Editor is very flexible, could you tell me more a bit what type of game you would like to make? and how technical design for this game would work?

I could maybe help you to create and provide a set of tools for unity design to help you with your game development?

You can start Unity in batch mode, this is like using Unity as a command line tool to perform simple tasks. However, this is useful for compiling your game only, I guess you can't have Unity update the asset database from the command line and even if this works however, you still have to create scenes because Unity lives in scenes which are unfortunately, visually edited in the editor.

But scenes have changed in the years since Unity was first released and are now plain text files in YAML format, so you could try to edit those files by hand or a tool but still you have to know the asset ID from the database, you can't work with prefabs very well and have to manage all UID handling by your own.

I guess this isn't worth the work because you would always be years behind the newest head release of Unity. It is something like the guys from MESA who decided to have their own OpenGL driver and are right now barely at the current OpenGL standard.

I'm sorry but modern game dev tools are not made for blind people, at least not the major ones widely used

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement