🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking to hear from Tools/Engine programming people

Started by
0 comments, last by Nomayha 4 years, 1 month ago

After a lot of work, I have been offered a job at a game company as a programmer. However, they want me to decide whether I want to work with the game development team or the engine/tools programming team.

My intention was initially joining the game dev team, because I figured I would be more engaged working directly with the games. But I have a suspicion that the amount of overwork in the game dev team is much higher that the engine/tools programming team (and as much as I could like my job, I don't want to work 60h/work week). So I'm considering the latter.

I have a good amount of coding experience from various systems, mobile apps and small games, but very little of it is related directly to things like graphics or OS programming. I also don't consider myself the brightest when it comes to math, I struggled a lot with research in graduate school, but I can try to improve. So I feel like I'd be happily do some things well (like working on a level editor maybe) while other things I would struggle a lot (probably anything related to graphics programming).

I would like to hear from people working with that. What kind of tools, engines, etc do you work with? What is a typical task or project that you are required to do? From the very brief description of my situation, do you feel like I would be a good fit for their team?

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement