🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New open-source XNA-inspired game framework: BNA

Started by
1 comment, last by Rutin 4 years ago

Hello! Something I've been working on for the past couple of weeks has finally gone live on Github under the MIT license: a new game framework inspired by XNA for the Beef programming language.

I recently found Beef by accident, after seeing Maddy Thorson toying with it on Twitter. It's basically the language I've always wanted - the efficiency & memory management of native languages like C or C++, but with the syntax of C#, and a very handy debug-mode memory leak detector that catches leaks very quickly and reliably.

However, Beef is still in its infancy, and there aren't many libs or frameworks for it yet. So I took it upon myself to write my own game framework. Fast forward a couple of weeks and BNA is now live on Github:

https://github.com/KillaMaaki/BNA

It's a really simple & minimal game framework inspired by XNA. It's built on top of FNA3D, SDL2, and SoLoud and features simple window management, cross-platform graphics API, sprite rendering, keyboard+mouse+gamepad input, audio & music playback, and more. It's designed to be as simple as possible to get started writing a new game: just toss BNA and SDL into a new project, copy some files, write a Game class, and hit Run.

There's still lots to do, but I'm pretty happy with what I've got so far and figured it was in a usable enough state that I should put it up!

Advertisement

Best wishes on this! I miss those XNA days! I cannot believe it has been that long.

Programmer and 3D Artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement