🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How should I start a career in game development?

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 4 years ago

I recently decided on being a video game developer, but I have no idea how to really start. Should I go through school? I'm going to a community College that has a major that teaches you the fundamentals of game development. One programming oriented and one artist oriented. Should I look for a school that has a dedicated major like that? Or should I go into some general computer science major?

Advertisement

Hi, WitchHaunter. I'll be moving this discussion to the Careers forum but first I thought I would address your questions.

If you want to be a programmer, you should take the programming course of study. If you want to be an artist, you should take the art course of study. At a community college, they probably offer only Associates degrees (2 years). You need a 4-year degree, so after finishing CC you can transfer to a 4-year institution. You can major in whatever you want for your Bachelors degree. You don't HAVE to have a game degree to work in games. Your own interests and talents should guide you in your decision making (don't take a course of study just to try to please someone else or because you think you have to).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement