🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Melbourne, Australia, game dev scene/lifestyle/job security

Started by
2 comments, last by GeneralJist 3 years, 8 months ago

Edit: I was trying to post this in the “careers” forum so I don't know why it ended up here. Perhaps a mod can move it for me?

Just looking for opinions :). I am a PhD theoretical physicist, 34, two small kids, currently in the process of leaving the academic world. I've been looking around for other jobs I might be suited to (in Melbourne, Australia), and have been fortunate enough to get one official offer and another promising lead.

The offer is with a local game company as a C++ programmer. They seem like a solid little company, about 50 people, a bunch of nice titles to their name. I think it would be a great place to work, and the commute would be short which is a big plus due to the small kids. I would accept it in a heartbeat, except for the other "lead".

This other "lead" is with the Bureau of Meteorology, to work on some scientific computing and forecasting pipelines. This also seems like a great job, and much more like what I have been doing in physics. Again I would accept it in a heartbeat if not for the game dev offer, although it isn't an official offer yet and who know, it could go south somewhere in there buraeucracy of the public service, so that's an important factor. The commute is longer to get in to the BoM office, but not awful.

I guess the BoM job is more secure, being in the public service. But there might actually be more opportunities for advancement in the game industry. I don't really know, I haven't worked in either industry before.

So anyway, does anyone here have much insight into life as a game dev in Melbourne? Would I be dumb to turn down the BoM job to be a game dev, or is continuing employment and advancement in games pretty good once you have some experience on your CV?

I feel a little bad having this "problem" during these coronavirus times when so many people are out of work, but still, I do have a decision to make. So any insights from those working in games, especially in Melbourne, would be much appreciated :).

Advertisement

Kurros said:
Perhaps a mod can move it for me?

Yep.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Just noticed this post was made in June, so I assume you made your decision already.

Our company homepage:

https://honorgames.co/

My New Book!:

https://booklocker.com/books/13011.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement