🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I have my idea, I think I have the skills. Now what?

Started by
3 comments, last by a light breeze 4 years ago

I have an idea for a game where you run a certain type of business and I feel quite inspired, however never having created anything much in terms of games before I'm not sure what to do. I once had another idea for a game and I just jumped in and started programming without thinking through what it would be, the game wound up being terrible from a technical standpoint (and most other standpoints as well lol) and I had to abandon it because my only other option was to rewrite 90% of the code and I wasn't about to do that.

So far I have created a text file containing what needs to be done to run this kind of business in real life, and what about this game will give the satisfaction (just as efficiency and profits). I have another file containing a very basic class hierarchy that is nowhere near complete.

I'm doing this all by myself as an amateur programmer, so I'm not really expecting to ever put this on the market, and I can't rely on others for too much help.

Are there any good methods for planning out games before writing any code or firing up any engines? I think I have the required skills to make a small basic version of this just for fun and practice, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

Advertisement

Break up your tasks into manageable chunks and work off a list. Having a game design document goes a long way so you're on the right track.

Either way you just have to put in the work and get started. Don't worry about having a “perfect start”, just start on something today.

Programmer and 3D Artist

My advice: start with the most complicated bit of code first.

Put the engine block in before everything else.

LeviO said:

… and I had to abandon it because my only other option was to rewrite 90% of the code and I wasn't about to do that.

More than ideas and skills, you need perseverance. It looks like you're lacking in that department.

Think of your first attempt as a prototype. Throw it away and start over.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement