🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A question regarding core loop and mechanics

Started by
2 comments, last by frob 3 years, 12 months ago

Hi. I’m a junior in game dev, just passed a course for Game designers.

I’m doing a task for a job interview and I can’t understand one question.

Choose any mobile game. Describe any mechanics from the core loop (place in loop, resources cycle, and principle of operation).

Let’s take Clash of Clans.

I can describe the core loop in schemes, like we have a city builder. We spent money on building upgrading walls, buildings and etc. We have several buildings producing elixir and gold. We produce units by spending elixir, go to battle, loose troops and gain trophies, loot and etc.

Let’s take battle mechanics, how to describe it?

Can anyone help me, or write a brief short example as I’m a little bit frustrated. I don’t know where to start and am I thinking in the right direction?

Thx in advace for your help ?

Advertisement

It's not clear if you need to write an analysis of the whole game or only of some aspect of your choice, but in both cases a meaningful and useful description has to be much more detailed than “a city builder”, “upgrading walls”, “we produce units”, and so on.

For example, can you explain how changing every number and rule detail would affect the game? If you can't, important game mechanics are beyond your comprehension.

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

Locking as this is part of a job interview.

In general for questions like this you should ask them what they mean if possible. If it's a written take-home paper, reiterate what you think you interpret the question to mean, say you find it unclear, then answer the question as you best understand it. If they meant something different they'll take it into consideration.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement