🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Environment Artist and Level Design

Started by
1 comment, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 11 months ago

Hello,

I am new to the video game development community and have a question about being an Environment Artist or a Level Designer. I understand that different workflows and companies will have different sets of responsibilities for these positions; but I would like to know, generally, do Environment Artists only make the props, materials, and textures? Would Level Designer be a more common position to look for? Or do they often implement their own coding? I am not terrible at coding, but definitely have an achilles heel for it.

Advertisement

1. Environment Artists make everything that makes up an environment: lighting, architecture, landscapes - maybe not props, but yes on the others.

2. What difference does it make if level design positions are more common to look for? What you really need to know is what you want to do, what you're good at, where you can make the biggest impact.

3. The more coding ability a level designer has, the better. You need some abilities in that area. Good that you're not terrible at it.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement