🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I have so much ideas about games, but i never do programming/making one, what should I do?

Started by
11 comments, last by who_say_pawno 3 years, 8 months ago

I'm thinking about games idea, but i never make one. I applied to some developers that looked for passionate gamer with ideas, regardless of skill and experience in making one.

I would like to be in team, but i have no idea about programming/graphic, what i have is creativity and imaginary.

As a 20years gamer, is there any dev/profesional would like to take someone like me? Or must i learn how to make one?

Advertisement

Hi, La Nue. Do you have a college or university degree? And if so, what subject did you major in? When you say you're a 20years gamer, does that mean you've been playing for 20 years, or does that mean you're 20 years old?

Sounds like you are hoping to get a job as an “ideas person.” There is no job like that. That's not the job description of a game designer, but game design comes closest to what you seem to be talking about. Read https://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.html​

And watch

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Afterthought: La Nue, you might want to read this article about the various types of jobs in game development.

29 y.o. gaming for 20years, since i was 9 (elementary school)

Played DoTA, Ragnarok Online KR, freelancer, HoN, many more on many platforms.

I'm bachelor degree of Psychology, i have a hard time with programming. And i don't really have skills according to C++ or deal with design software.

I've search about some engines for making games, but i'm a pure newbie to this business.

Your situation is not very different from someone who's been watching movies for 20 years and has ideas for some cool movies that he would like to make. If you want to break into the film industry you'll need some skills. You can pick up a camera and play around with it. You can try to get together with a few friends and make an indie movie with nearly no budget. You can learn how to write scripts, how to edit video, how to edit sound, how to act… You can go to film school. There are many avenues, but the experience watching movies and the passion for movies won't make you stand out as a movie maker.

You can fill in yourself what the game-development equivalent of all that is.

La_Nue said:
I'm bachelor degree of Psychology, i have a hard time with programming. And i don't really have skills according to C++ or deal with design software.

Psychology is good for game design. Did you watch that video? A game designer doesn't have to be a programmer. Did you read those articles? Check out our Hobby Projects Classifieds. Maybe you can join a hobby team and learn about game making.

alvaro said:

Your situation is not very different from someone who's been watching movies for 20 years and has ideas for some cool movies that he would like to make. If you want to break into the film industry you'll need some skills. You can pick up a camera and play around with it. You can try to get together with a few friends and make an indie movie with nearly no budget. You can learn how to write scripts, how to edit video, how to edit sound, how to act… You can go to film school. There are many avenues, but the experience watching movies and the passion for movies won't make you stand out as a movie maker.

You can fill in yourself what the game-development equivalent of all that is.

That's make sense, nice straight to the heart

Tom Sloper said:

La_Nue said:

Psychology is good for game design. Did you watch that video? A game designer doesn't have to be a programmer. Did you read those articles? Check out our Hobby Projects Classifieds. Maybe you can join a hobby team and learn about game making.

I watched the video and read the articles. I take MBTI online in instance after.

And i have to deepen my potential, overcome my own limit.

And as you both said, maybe i need to start creating one, even it's bad.

I searched some game making engines, any idea which one is totally free of charge for newbie?

I read even a newbie could make one in 8hrs.

Send me the link of your Hobby Projects Classified, or discord for easier QnA.

Ask questions about engines in our For Beginners forum. https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/71-for-beginners/

Hobby Projects forum: https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/29-hobby-project-classifieds/

You can also navigate to those by using the “Forums” button at left.

A few suggestions if I may:

Do your research. Learn about the various roles in the game industry, including ones which aren't programming or visual art, to understand where you might fit in.
Each role may contribute more or less to the final game design in different studios. Someone doing customer support for a big studio may not even be in the same location as the development team, while the producer at an indie studio might also be doing community management, recording voice overs and designing levels.
You also want to consider who is situated around you, or offering working remotely, and how to tailor your work to pique their interest.

On a different note, have you considered designing a board game?
You don't need to know programming, you can prototype with very basic graphic design, and I'll think it's a good opportunity to learn skills that can apply to video games.

I'm kind of the opposite, I want to program a game, but I am not creative enough to come up with a great game design.

You could write a detailed “game design document” for each of your good ideas, and then seek a programmer to make them.

I have seen guys do this on fiver and freelancer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement