🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Like Minecraft but another

Started by
10 comments, last by Tom Sloper 3 years, 9 months ago

Hey. I would like to find a Unity programmer to create a clone of minecraft. Of course, this is not an entirely accurate clone, because it is based only on style, build and the possibility of crafting. I would like to realize the world of post-apocalypse, at the time of a long nuclear winter, and where there is a lot of snow, it is possible to use steampunk. Having created a stove, add a boiler to it, lay pipes and start a mechanism.
And under a huge layer of snow, place the ruins of cities, small settlements. Introduce a temperature system, and the rest of the survival elements.

I will take part in the project as a graphic designer, 3D modeler and animator.

This is not enough, but in a couple of hours I was able to complete a sketch with animation and layers. Textures were painted using the palettes of Blood and Quake.

None

Advertisement

Have you considered instead of rewriting the entire game from scratch, just do a Minecraft mod that covers what you talked about?

Shaarigan said:

Have you considered instead of rewriting the entire game from scratch, just do a Minecraft mod that covers what you talked about?

Will have to cut a lot from minecraft, and change a lot of mechanics. It's easier to write them from scratch.

None

I drew the basic blocks: snow, rocky ground, rocky ground covered with snow, lead ore, metal ore, gold ore, ice block, spruce block, spruce boards.

None

Just art ?

None

The first picture shows a table for creating items. In the second picture, a smelter, only for ores. The player's hand also displays clothing on the player.

None

So, you're not a programmer, but you “know” that it would be easier to start from scratch than to make a Minecraft mod? What possible basis could you have for that assertion?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong - I wouldn't know myself, having no experience writing Minecraft mods - but it sounds like you are seriously underestimating the amount of work that would go into writing a Minecraft clone.

a light breeze said:

So, you're not a programmer, but you “know” that it would be easier to start from scratch than to make a Minecraft mod? What possible basis could you have for that assertion?

I'm not saying you're necessarily wrong - I wouldn't know myself, having no experience writing Minecraft mods - but it sounds like you are seriously underestimating the amount of work that would go into writing a Minecraft clone.

For the mod, will have to cut the entire mineraft. Creepers, skeletons, cut out a huge number of objects, replace a lot of sounds. This is a very routine job, so it's easier to write from scratch. Write a new generation of the world, structure and rework crafting mechanics.

None

Thank you for confirming that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Look, there's a reason people make “total conversion” mods that replace literally all content in the game instead of just writing their own games from scratch: because ~95% of the code of the game exists at the systems level below the content level, and that 95% of the code is still useful for the mod.

There are valid reasons for starting over from scratch instead of writing a Minecraft mod. Maybe you're hoping to sell the game. Maybe you want to reach an audience that doesn't have Minecraft installed. Maybe the Minecraft engine just can't handle what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe Minecraft is just really difficult to mod. But you're going to have a hard time attracting a programmer to work for you and keeping them motivated if you don't even acknowledge 95% of their effort.

a light breeze said:

Thank you for confirming that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Look, there's a reason people make “total conversion” mods that replace literally all content in the game instead of just writing their own games from scratch: because ~95% of the code of the game exists at the systems level below the content level, and that 95% of the code is still useful for the mod.

There are valid reasons for starting over from scratch instead of writing a Minecraft mod. Maybe you're hoping to sell the game. Maybe you want to reach an audience that doesn't have Minecraft installed. Maybe the Minecraft engine just can't handle what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe Minecraft is just really difficult to mod. But you're going to have a hard time attracting a programmer to work for you and keeping them motivated if you don't even acknowledge 95% of their effort.

Dear, I have been in the game industry since 2008. And I perfectly understand your pressure, you are empty. You are like all those people who threw teams without investment. This topic is not about how you are dissatisfied with life and trying to impose your opinion on me, this topic is about finding a person for a project, and even if there is no person, the project will continue to be implemented. The only difference is that you continue to write nonsense, and I make the game. If something does not suit you, then pass by, you do not need to express your displeasure. It looks very silly. Так что советую пойти на ху юг й и не писать мне лишнего, ибо я прекрасно знаю, что таких как ты только и влечет одно - вечно вые бываться там где не просят.

None

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement