🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Is there any room for amateur composer/graphical designer?

Started by
4 comments, last by rocketscienceguy 3 years, 8 months ago

Hi there! I am looking for some advice or tips about getting projects where I am needed and also I am interested!

Brief introduce of me: I really liked games, not merely just playing it, but also wanted to know How those logics, interfaces, or graphical/sound assets are made and mixed together! Well, besides game-stuffs I liked physics also, and majoring in physics now, in fact.

But still, as an amateur composer, or graphic designer(especially 2D things) I really want to contribute to some projects if I become a crew of the team or not. I am now able to make some sprites, or simple animations, and haven’t made sounds especially for game, but scored some sheets of music for my hobby.

I managed to get to know portfolio and experience is the king, of course, because they let me know what I want to do much clearly, and let others know who I am and what I can offer. But…

Currently, I am in quite restricted environment to do something with PCs(yes, some for reason, maybe because of my nationality, I am doing my service in some army). Hopefully I can access to not-internet-connected PCs and building some simple Javascript(which is my only option to code something, but I found it quite interesting) based action game engine, but its progress is quite slow and sometimes even frustrating. And most of all, it is about doing whatever I can about game development not to perish my passion.

Well, I am not sure I’ll regard this field as my another career, but I’ll start to build my own portfolio step by step whenever I can afford my time once I am out of my service. Since I have no portfolios yet, but want to find some projects I can get in or merely contribute to, and discover what I can do and what is for me, is there any recommendation for noob game developer(as an artist if I say) to promote myself(not more than yelling out here I am to offer assets!) or find a proper project?

Advertisement

Maybe you're interested to join me in here as a graphics designer

https://gamedev.net/forums/topic/707640-wanted-artist-graphics-designer-print/

@estesca Hi, I'm planning to post a project proposal this weekend. I choose the game idea based on it being relatively simple to produce (I've been working on my current project for over 8 months now). I'd be happy to include original music if you'd like a byline to grow your portfolio.

@rocketscienceguy
Glad to have a chance to get a project as a music producer ? Thanks! I haven’t composed any for game itself, but here’s where I used to upload my pieces(https://musescore.com/user/13156516). I am rather familiar with classical instruments, but interested in experimenting with other sounds. Currently, I cannot have my own workspace and environment(until 30th Oct.). But we can talk about ideas and what I can offer!

You can find my proposal on the main hobby classifieds now. I put it up this afternoon. I rather think classical instruments would match well with the theme, but am keeping an open mind and would be happy to work with somone who wants to experiment. I didn't want to start till November started anyway, so our calendars synch just fine. Even after that, you could take your time with sound, as it won't hold up the rest of production to add them in later in the cycle. I do want everyone to be included in all communications though, so you'll have opportunity to influence the direction other design decisions go outside of sound.

In the most minimum kernel of a game, two scenes will need to be given a lot of attention: a corner store, and a dumpy apartment. If the game gets fleshed out with more content, other settings will be added from around the city: a nightclub, cafe, etc.. Drab and dreary will definitely run through most, if not all of the game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement