🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I'm currently trying to presume a career in game development,need advice

Started by
6 comments, last by SibylSystem 3 years, 6 months ago

Im looking for any tips or guidance in my future in game development, if you have any advice ill really appreciate it. I'm interested in any and everything you have to say that may help me in this journey

for example im looking for where i should start like videos, programmes, ect.

just anything that you think would help

Advertisement

This thread has been moved from For Beginners to Games Career Development. https://www.gamedev.net/forums/forum/21-games-career-development/​​ You should scan through the forum, see what discussions are of interest .

Abysmal, you might want to start by clarifying which role (what career path) in the game industry is right for you. FAQ 7 describes the various game industry roles/jobs. Start with that, and it's also recommended that you check out https://www.parachutebook.com/​

Then once you have settled on a role/specialty, get a 4-year degree appropriate to your interests, if you are not yet a uni grad. FAQ 34 talks about how to choose a degree.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Can you share more about what you are interested in? Are you wanting to work at a AAA company making console games, or a small studio making mobile games? Looking to try the indie thing and make a game yourself? What type of game? 2D, 3D? What genres do you like? Are you an artist? A programmer? Designer? Maybe something else? Do you have a college degree or are you looking to go to college and what would you study? Want to self learn? There are tons of books on Amazon, plus courses on Udemy and other places. Just be clear about what you want (like where do you want to be in 5 years? 10 years?) then work backwards from there. If you can answer some of those questions I can try to give more specific advice.

@Tom SloperI really appreciate the links you sent it really helped as for your question im looking to go towards the programming and game designing

@SibylSystem im looking to make game for console/pc(3D) but im starting off small. As for that genre im looking to make RPG's. im currently trying to pressure game design and programming. as for collage i would like to those topics. But i also want to self learn

as for the book im will definitely check those out

thanks

@AbysmalEnigma We put together a public scholarship site where we aggregated all the game design higher ed programs in the U.S. It's available at learnaboutvideogames.com. Could be helpful if you're looking at schools.

I bought this book a while ago but never got to reading it. Maybe a good idea to check out and see if it helps.

https://www.amazon.com/Start-Your-Video-Game-Career-ebook/dp/B073QXHK5V/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement