🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

seasoned software engineer looking to move into game industry

Started by
3 comments, last by Irnidam 3 years, 4 months ago

greetings,

I've been a software engineer working in the aerospace industry for the past 14 years, and telecommuting for the past 6 years.

I think I'm still considered a “young professional”. Would it be difficult to migrate to the gaming industry? Are there any factors I should consider if I start applying for positions?

thanks

Advertisement

masterball said:
Would it be difficult to migrate to the gaming industry?

Everything is difficult. So what? Just try. You won't get in otherwise.

masterball said:
Are there any factors I should consider if I start applying for positions?

Maybe this article on switching into games will be helpful.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

masterball said:
working in the aerospace industry for the past 14 years... I think I'm still considered a “young professional”.

Not in games you're not. You're in your late thirties? Don't worry, you're not “too old” either.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

masterball said:
Would it be difficult to migrate to the gaming industry? Are there any factors I should consider if I start applying for positions?

in a nutshell, just give it a go;

but in the long shell -lol-, the link that Tom's posted carries a lot of truth, however if you're a coder with no game experience then the only thing that will get you the job in games with said-company is if your existing expertise in XXXXX field (notice i didn't say skills) is needed by the company that u want to join and they can't find it elsewhere;

that's why preferably for someone with no game exp your best bet is to increase your chances of being hired, how?

• so you're a dev, then dev a game demo, this will show that you understand terminology, art and assets usage, pipelining etc…

then you can apply for what is called a “speculative” game dev role (maybe just to create Tools or Tests); a lot of game companies are now offering these posts just in case they need to find “a coder with a bit of game exp” in their existing pot of speculative applications;

you're in for the long haul; but it's a good haul ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement