🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rendering middleware that supports DirectX offscreen rendering?

Started by
1 comment, last by ddlox 3 years, 6 months ago

I have a custom built engine that is based on DirectX 11 & OpenCL.

The engine preforms real time rendering to an offscreen buffer.

• No Windows - so no present nor swapchain
  • No mouse / keyboard input

I've been looking for a long time for a graphics middleware that will allow me to abstract away complicated rendering tasks but will still let me have the low-level control where I want it.

In particular:

• I need to have full control over DirectX device / context creation. Whatever library I use will have to use this context only.
  • I need to have full access to the underlying DirectX rendering target.
  • The library must not synchronize the GPU - no present / swap buffers.
  • The library must not open threads, I need to have full control of the threading.

For 2D graphics we are using the proprietary NoesisGui, which allows exactly that. A true middleware.

I've looked suggestions in this post

https://www.gamedev.net/forums/topic/701967-looking-for-3d-rendering-middleware/

Yet most suggestions are full fledged frameworks. BGFX looks interesting yet it is not clear if it allows me to provide it with my own device and perform offscreen rendering to a render target of my choosing.

Are there libraries which I can consider? Does BGFX in particular can be used for this purpose?

Advertisement

eladma8a said:
Does BGFX in particular can be used for this purpose?

dig into their examples, and see if it's fit for purpose;

hard to tell otherwise, i think ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement