πŸŽ‰ Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! πŸŽ‰

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game ideas and concepts

Started by
10 comments, last by GeneralJist 3Β years, 5Β months ago

Hey guys, so I did Games Development level 3 at college and have basic knowledge of Autodesk Maya, Gamemaker and Unreal Engine 4 and all that sort of stuff. But I'm not in that line of work despite wanting to be. I do however have lots of ideas for games, characters, stories and more. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get these into play, or sold to a developer, or get me into a career with someone. Thanks in advance guys

Advertisement

HarleyQ911 said:
I do however have lots of ideas for games, characters, stories and more. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get these into play

Ideas are worthless (profiting from them) unless you have an established record of success in the past with similar projects. Even if you post your ideas for anyone to take, unless they are really good, people will just glaze over them and move on.

If you have characters and stories then you should be writing, and if your not, why have you not? Fleshing out characters and stories is much better than having ideas. This applies to drawing etc as well.

Of course you can always hire people to help develop your ideas.

πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚πŸ™‚<←The tone posse, ready for action.

@undefined I haven't got the money be hiring people out. My younger brother is now doing the course I was doing and has the software so I'm contemplating making them with him. I have the story of games planned out and some mobile games too that are complete apart from the game itself being made.

@HarleyQ911 Well the obvious way to profit from your ideas is to go the indie route. Create the game yourself.

If you really want to be a modeler, then start modeling. If you really want to be a programmer, then start programming. And practice and practice and practice.

Actually I'm very sad right now because I'm giving you advice that I should be using. I don't mean to be a hypocrite.

@undefined ? the usual way is giving advice you're not taking. Thank you for you time and answer.

HarleyQ911 said:
I was wondering if anyone knew a way to get these [ideas] (1) into play, or (2)sold to a developer, or (3) get me into a career with someone.

1. Make the game.
  2. You can't. Read FAQ 11.
  3. Apply to a game company after you have your university degree (I assume β€œlevel 3 at college” is not the same as a uni degree).

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

@undefinedIts a level 3 extended diploma with UAL. Which is the university of Arts London

HarleyQ911 said:
London

I would have misspelled modeling as modelling for your reading convenience had I known.

@undefinedno worries ?

HarleyQ911 said:

@undefinedIts a level 3 extended diploma with UAL. Which is the university of Arts London

Since I'm not British, I don't know if a level 3 extended diploma is equivalent to a 4-year uni degree. To get a career in games (i.e. a paid job), you need a degree and a good portfolio of projects you've worked on.

You asked how you could sell your idea or get it made into a game, or leverage it into a career in games. Those 3 topics are all different; none of them is actually a Game Design question. Selling game concepts is a Business And Law question (for our Business and Law forum). How to make games is a For Beginners question (for our For Beginners forum). Careers questions belong in the Games Career Development forum, so this thread has now been moved to the Games Career Development forum.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement