🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for a suitable program

Started by
14 comments, last by dominicosborn 3 years, 4 months ago

To prevent players of consciously, or not, cheating it sounds like you want a client/server architecture where the server would keep track of where units are and if they can be moved, and moved by how much along with other game mechanics (rules). The clients would only be responsible for displaying what the play can see. After a move the server would send updated positions and possibly update what the player could see based on ‘fog of war’.

Assuming that there would be combat, the server would handle combat resolution and notify each player of the results (casualties, survivors, territory lost or gained, etc).

Advertisement

@thurizas Well, maybe ideally, but that looks to me, considering I am utterly ignorant about programming, to be more than I could manage. I thought I might initially get away with having it all on one computer, with two pages or forms (or whatever you call them), one of which you can see and the other of which the opponent could see, just projected onto two different screens (each one maybe password protected). So you could face each other over a table, with the two screens back to back. Or, just one screen. You finish your move, close the page, and then the opponent types in his (or her) password, and opens his (or her) page. Initially, again, I don't think I would need to have the computer calculate the results of a combat - it would be pretty simple arithmetic - sums such as 8 minus 6 is 2, or 4 minus 3 is 1.

Again, most grateful for your interest and ideas.

@Thaumaturge I have looked at it. It seems like it can do a lot of things. Haven't had time to really study it yet though. Thank you for telling me about it.

@thurizas I had a quick look at the site you mentioned, and easily found some rules. Very interesting. Thanks

dominicosborn said:
one's

sorry about the grocer's apostrophe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement