🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

fps game

Started by
4 comments, last by JoeJ 3 years, 1 month ago

I want to develop a first person shooter in 3d like battlezone. I am unsure of how to begin.

Advertisement

@pbivens67 You didn't respond after a certain point in the other topic you made which is basically just a duplicate of this topic. You really should have just responded over there with the additional information. I had asked over there for more specifics about what you have done, what languages you have used, etc… you didn't respond, so I still can't give you a good suggestion despite you adding the word FPS to your duplicate topic. Give me more information to go on and I can try to help, but making duplicate topics is just going to make you look bad.

@pbivens67 IMO If you're unsure on how to begin start watching programming tutorials for whatever engine your using, uses.

That's how it is and that's how it goes, can't tell you how to do everything here or you'd never learn and it would be pointless cause then someone else would have made it.

@undefined where to start? start developing a pong Game. Forget the fps. You dont know how to put a brick and you want to build a cathedral. Start building a shack

pbivens67 said:
I want to develop a first person shooter in 3d like battlezone. I am unsure of how to begin.

Guess you mean the game from 1980.

The world is just an infinite plane, so no much work for that. The arcade version had some static obstacles, cubes and pyramids.

So i would start with rendering the plane (maybe some retro grid lines, plus one line for the horizon. But at first just some fixed sized grid around the player to keep it simple).

Then a player controller for the tank. Can only rotate and go front / back. Set camera to that so you can drive and sense the environment. (but also keep option for top down view for debugging, which can be extended to the radar / map view later.)

Then enemy tanks. Need some visuals - three boxes (tracks, turret, gun). Add some AI to make them drive randomly / towards the player.

Needs collision detection, likely just testing player bounding box vs. enemy bounding box. Not trivial because boxes are rotated.

Using boxes for projectiles, you can use the same system for that.

Finally display radar and some scores / lives.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement