🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

how companies review your test project and why they reject it?

Started by
11 comments, last by Codeloader_Dev 2 years, 8 months ago

Coding tests are quite special, in that the surrounding documentation/tests/comments are often more important than the solution itself. A prospective employer is interested to know not just that you can code up a solution - they want to know you understand how to research and design a solution, and then be able to explain it to your future team. A technically correct solution that nobody else on the team can understand isn't useful in a work environment.

For this sort of test I always make sure to refactor the code into nice logical functions/classes before submitting it. Remove or thoroughly comment any “cute” code (i.e. any weird coding tricks a reviewer might not be familiar with). Write a suite of unit tests that explicitly calls out any edge cases or unusual behaviour of the solution.

And once I've done all that, I add a readme. The readme contains really obvious things like “copy paste these commands to compile and run the code”, but it also contains a detailed section where I describe the algorithm I chose, and why I chose that algorithm (with a discussion of alternate approaches I considered, and the trade-offs/drawbacks to each approach). That last section is really critically important: it shows the reviewer that you actually understand how your solution works, and aren't just copy/pasting algorithms from stack overflow.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

Having 100 developers applying to a position would make me crap my pants. How do you even begin to compete with that? And most of the tests are about knowledge, not creativity!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement