🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Cloud based game Dev?

Started by
9 comments, last by JoeJ 1 year, 8 months ago

Hi, I'm looking for a way to do 3D game development on the cloud. I have a very low end pc. I've researched a few solutions and found Microsoft Azure. I was wondering if there is anything that would be free but simpler. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement

Saad2796 said:
I'm looking for a way to do 3D game development on the cloud.

Really? Why? Your device doesn't have enough storage space? Or not enough power? You want to have access to the codebase and assets from multiple devices? You want to share the codebase with teammates? What is it you're expecting the cloud to do for you? Just storage of the assets and codebase? Or do you plan to have all your tools, your complete dev environment in the cloud and nothing on your personal device? Do tell us more about what it is you're trying to accomplish by doing the dev on the cloud, rather than the usual way.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks for the reply,

I'm looking for something that would help me in regards to system power. My current pc can't even run godot properly (it crashes when opening materials) and i was thinking that maybe a cloudbased game engine may be a thing or maybe a virtual machine or something that i could run a game engine and blender on. But i mainly need it to be free and simple.

My device has enough storage and i will only be accessing it from one pc. I expect the system to be able to run a game engine and other tools that I need. Storage on my device would not be a problem but i just need the system power. An all inclusive solution would be nice but i would be alright without it. I want this to learn gamedev properly, ive used unity and godot in the past, but i would like to become better and maybe even make a few basic indie games.

Saad2796 said:
My current pc can't even run godot properly (it crashes when opening materials)

What are the specs of your PC?

To make an old laptop with 1GB ram fit for Windows 7, i had success by disabling some services: Search Indexing, Windows Update, and Windows Defender. Made a big difference.
Reinstalling OS might also help.

Thing is, i have little hope of any cloud based dev paltform which is free. I saw GitHub has a new feature of cloud development, but doubt that's free.

@JoeJ windows 7, 2gb ram,

No graphics card, just a graphics chip on the motherboard

Saad2796 said:
2gb ram,

Then i would definitively try disabling those services. Not sure if i remember the names properly, especially for the last, which is anti virus stuff.

Saad2796 said:
No graphics card, just a graphics chip on the motherboard

No iGPU, but an external chip? Sounds very old hardware then. I guess no 3D acceleration, and no CPU multithreading either?

You could still learn game development by focusing on software rendering until you can afford to upgrade. E.g. using an engine based on Doom, or focus on retro 2D games.

Maybe a cheap way to upgrade would be buying a Steam Deck, install Windows, and plug in existing Keyboard and display. (Check for a need of adapters for connectivity)

Tats still too expensive a and the waiting list is loooong

Saad2796 said:
Tats still too expensive a and the waiting list is loooong

I see. Well, maybe, if economy keeps going downhill world wide, you just need to wait a bit longer and your current system is up to date again. Because in the future nobody can afford bleeding edge tech just to play games anymore. : |

Whatever. As said, it should not prevent you from learning. You can't run the latest path tracing and unlimited detail tech, but you can still create nice games. There's also mobile and web games for example. And retro is more popular than ever.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement