🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Looking for an experienced gamedeveloper to answer a few questions

Started by
1 comment, last by frob 1 week, 3 days ago

I'm currently doing a project for school, where our assignment is to develop an educational game. I've worked out the idea and know pretty much what I need to be in the game, but I dont have the right skills to actually develop the game.

A short summary of the game: It's a game that focusses on subjects taught on highschool, such as history, geography and languages such as French. With every subject you'll be dropped into a 3D world. With the subject French, you'll be dropped into Paris for example. Here you will complete several quests, such as guiding someone to the Eiffeltower. There's a singleplayer and multiplayer option. In the singleplayer option you'll complete the quests you are given and build up your life in Paris. You can talk to several Non Player Characters, which can give you new quests as well. In the multiplayer option you'll be able to play with other players and comlete quests together. Those quests will be more advanced than the ones you're given in the singleplayer option. The main goal of the game is learning your desired subject by playing the game.

As of right now, we don't need someone to develop the game (this might change in the future). What we need for our project at the moment, is knowing if our concept can actually be made, the complexity of that, needed time for development and a rough estimate of the costs. We would appreciate it a lot if you're willing to help us out.

If you want to reach out to us, you can reply here or send me a message on discord: #bliksem3745. I can send some more info on the game , such as needed features (e-mail login, personal profiles, chat & messages etc.)

Advertisement

What we need for our project at the moment, is knowing if our concept can actually be made, the complexity of that, needed time for development and a rough estimate of the costs.

Those are functions of the content and quality, and of the people doing the work. The adage is “cost, quality, and time, pick two.”

Hobbyists are free, professionals will depend on location but these days plan $15000 per work month in the US as a general estimate. Ten professionals for ten months is 1.5M. Twenty professionals for 24 months is 7.2M.

That's just the cost for product development. Usually that's a third of the cost for professional games: a third on product development, a third on marketing, and a third on business development.

Advertisement