🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Script Languages

Started by
19 comments, last by Xorcist 22 years, 2 months ago
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
There are no silly questions when you are trying to learn. If your not going to be helpfull then don''t answer and save GameDev the hard drive space.

If you were so concerned about GameDev''s storage requirements, rather than being self-righteous, then I don''t think you''d be pointlessly posting to complain about pointless postings.

[C++ FAQ Lite | ACCU | Boost | Stroustrup on Learning C++]
Advertisement
The best way to save GameDev hard drive space is to STFW. That said, y''all get over it. Someone answered the poster''s question, and that''s all that really matters.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
All I know on this is that for visual basic scripting all of the variables are variants, so theres no explicit declarations of single data types(unless you''re using types like c structs). As for java-script and java.. no idea.. and as for jscript.. its an imposter!
So basically when it all comes down to it, those "script" versions of the languages are stripped down versions for web development, thanks. I''ll do a little more research on it for more specifics, not to say I wasn''t already. As some people here can''t imagine that actual word of mouth goes a long way above what articles and arguements often supply. Gotta love the negativity though. It''s nice to know you can assume that this is the only effort I made toward achieving my answer. Keep up the good work.
quote: Original post by Xorcist
So basically when it all comes down to it, those "script" versions of the languages are stripped down versions for web development, thanks.

Stripped-down versions of what? Java? None of them are a "stripped-down" version of anything, they are all languages in their own right, apart from maybe JScript, which is a rip-off.

Listing the differences between the languages you mentioned is a bit superficial. We need to know in what context you are talking about. The differences are only relevant when you have a task you need to carry out, then we might me able to talk about how you would approach that task in each language. People spend years learning various technologies and understanding the trade-offs between each technology. Ultimately, it''s something you have to find out for yourself; there is no short-cut to this sort of hard-earned experience and knowledge.

[C++ FAQ Lite | ACCU | Boost | Stroustrup on Learning C++]
quote:
Stripped-down versions of what? Java? None of them are a "stripped-down" version of anything, they are all languages in their own right, apart from maybe JScript, which is a rip-off.

See this is what I''m trying to find out. Most of the resources I''ve come across compare Java to Java Script and VB to VB Script each hinting that the latter has some basis in the former (if nothing more than syntax). Yet all the "script" languages seem to be completely based around web development. Using key elements of there supposed parent languages but simplifying somewhat to reduce development time. I''m already well versed in Java as well as Visual Basic, and never touched their scripted counterparts before. Just wondered what the differences are... I''m not asking anyone to write an in depth dissertation on the subject.

Here are some of this sites I''ve read over:

Java / Java Script
http://airweb2.org/links/java.cfm
http://itc.utk.edu/itc/clearinghouse/java/jvsjs.html
http://www.firststep.com.au/education/solid_ground/javadiff.html
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/j_vs_js.html

VB / VB SCript
http://www.natecsystems.com/98%20Sep-Oct%20VBA%20vs%20Visual%20Basic.html
http://www.devguru.com/Technologies/vbscript/quickref/vbscript_intro.html
P.S. Maybe I should have asked what these scripting languages are mainly used for? That might have made a bit more sense, but it looks like I''ve got the answer I was looking for. So we''ll leave it at that. Sorry for being incorrectly inquisitive.

Let people ask whatever they want. no dictatorships please.
quote: Original post by Xorcist
See this is what I''m trying to find out. Most of the resources I''ve come across compare Java to Java Script and VB to VB Script each hinting that the latter has some basis in the former (if nothing more than syntax). Yet all the "script" languages seem to be completely based around web development.

No disrespect to anyone, but most web "resources" are written by overexcited and underinformed individuals. JavaScript was named so in a slick marketing move by Netscape to capture public attention since Java was generating a lot of hype (and ECMAScript isn''t "sexy"). Furthermore, JavaScript is a full-featured language which simply requires an object model to adapt to different application domains. It''s as useful for RAD as for web development, but just more associated with the latter.

VBScript - Visual Basic Scripting Edition - is an ASP/MSScript client language. It was designed to be a drop in replacement for JavaScript in ASP web development. It''s different than Visual Basic and Visual Basic for Applications. Again, more a marketing misnomer with slight syntactic similarities.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ ]
[ MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Boost ]
[ Google! | Asking Smart Questions | Jargon File ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
The main purposes of VBScript and java-script are as client-side web scripting languages. However, both are also quite embeddable. You can get java-script libraries and VBScript ActiveX controls that allow you to make you applications scriptable through those scripting languages. That''s probably also how browsers can read scripts in those languages.

A good example would be Visual Studio. The IDE has VBScript embedded so you can use it for programming macros.

-Auron

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement