🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Players unable to run game, KERNELBASE.dll and msvcr90d.dll throwing errors

Started by
4 comments, last by JackOgara 4 years, 9 months ago

We have not been able to replicate this error on our side yet so is quite annoying.

Some users of our game are unable to run it, it just crashes out at load and Event Log shows either KERNELBASE.dll or msvcr90d.dll being the issue.

The game is old. From 2006-2010. Uses VS2008 to compile. 

I am also the only one working on it in terms of client side programming and I am no game developer xD

You can see the full Event Logs here, https://community.projecttorque.racing/threads/unable-to-open-game.205/#post-1881

Faulting application name: ProjectTorqueBeta.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5d9a46d1
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.2.18362.418, time stamp: 0x2b181c2c
Exception code: 0xe0434f4d
Fault offset: 0x00113572
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
Faulting package full name: %14
Faulting package-relative application ID: %15

We get players to install:

Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

DirectX End-User Runtimes (August 2008)

Sorry I can be more descriptive, I am on mobile at this time. Will be back online later today.

Anyone got any ideas?

Advertisement

I would get them to open up their console as an administrator then type sfc.exe/scannow to make sure nothing is wrong there...

Then they should try reinstalling the appropriate visual studio redistributable and runtimes, also make sure their windows is up to date. You can also factor out a corrupt user profile by creating a new user account as an admin and seeing if it crashes again. You could also have them re-register kernelbase.dll

There are many reasons for such a crash to occur so you'll have to trouble shoot a bit more through the process of elimination.

Programmer and 3D Artist

You might want to ask your players nicely for what version .Net Framework they are running. From a quick googling, I found some problems related to mis-matched .Net Framework runtime version.

http://9tawan.net/en/

15 hours ago, JackOgara said:

We get players to install:

Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86) 

I don't think msvcr90d.dll is included in that and I'm almost sure it's against the EULA to distribute it. Try building in release mode msvcr90d.dll is a debug file.

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂<←The tone posse, ready for action.

Looks like we linked the wrong Direct X installer. Some users though are having issues similar via Steam though which only has a single Direct X installer.

We link the downloads.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement