🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Converting old mmorpg game into android game

Started by
3 comments, last by srphfthnd 4 years, 8 months ago

Hello, I apologise in advanced I'm not really good in English. I'm just new here and I don't know how to start. I'm a fourth year IT student and want to make my favorite old game into mobile game. The game I want to create is base from mmorpg Ran Online which was shutdown 3 months ago. I deeply in love with this game and I want to make it into mobile but I have no idea where to start. I heard about how to reverse engineer the game and create it by using Unity software. I also try to read other forums regarding about making mmorpg in mobile but they just gave me a vague general answer. Please help me I want to know where I should start in this project. I really want this game in my pocket and to be back. I'm not that good but I have knowledge in Java and C++. Any help will be much appreciated. 

No one can keep going unless there were drunk on something.

Advertisement

Moving to the Beginners forum.

The majority of such a game is the server, you have to rewrite the server software unless you buy a license from the old games guys. Reverse engneering the software is in nearly any case a violation of the EULA and so illegal.

What you could do is to design your own game based on this. Try getting as much material from the old game as possible to reproduce their mechanics first, then try starting to create the game client and server software. Unity is a good idea here because you can prototype your game on PC and optimize it for Android in the final phase.

However, writing an MMO is difficult for beginners, especially because there is no 10 steps plan to do it. Every MMO has it's own server model:

• How doesthe server verify player actions
  • How is the server storing user data
  • How is the map managed
  • Does it has a property management (especially for in-game homes etc.)
  • How is the store configured if there exists one
  • Does it use instancing for the world/ dungeons

Writing the game client is not much more difficult as in every other multiplayer game. There are plenty of tutorials out there regarding to network gameplay and programming.

However, there is a payed asset on the Unity Asset Store I found a while ago that aims to provide a total care package for such people willing to build an MMO. I bookmarked it with the notice "If I would make an MMO one day using Unity, this will be may toolkit to go for" so I share their Youtube channel here for you to have a look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLug3Ofmr5k

3 hours ago, Shaarigan said:

The majority of such a game is the server, you have to rewrite the server software unless you buy a license from the old games guys. Reverse engneering the software is in nearly any case a violation of the EULA and so illegal.

What you could do is to design your own game based on this. Try getting as much material from the old game as possible to reproduce their mechanics first, then try starting to create the game client and server software. Unity is a good idea here because you can prototype your game on PC and optimize it for Android in the final phase.

However, writing an MMO is difficult for beginners, especially because there is no 10 steps plan to do it. Every MMO has it's own server model:

• How doesthe server verify player actions
  • How is the server storing user data
  • How is the map managed
  • Does it has a property management (especially for in-game homes etc.)
  • How is the store configured if there exists one
  • Does it use instancing for the world/ dungeons

Writing the game client is not much more difficult as in every other multiplayer game. There are plenty of tutorials out there regarding to network gameplay and programming.

However, there is a payed asset on the Unity Asset Store I found a while ago that aims to provide a total care package for such people willing to build an MMO. I bookmarked it with the notice "If I would make an MMO one day using Unity, this will be may toolkit to go for" so I share their Youtube channel here for you to have a look at it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLug3Ofmr5k

Thank you so much sir!

No one can keep going unless there were drunk on something.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement