🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I have an idea for a project but no dev skills looking for a team hopefully

Started by
3 comments, last by Graithen 4 years, 6 months ago

Let me get straight to the point.

Im Scarlet, 18 years of age and no job (at the moment). I have an immense love for anything horror, especially psychological horror!

i have an idea for a psychological horror game (including feedback from 20+ people for more ideas) but absolutely no knowledge of game development skills. I'm looking for people who are willing to work with me on creating what i hope to be a masterpiece of a psych horror game!

Advertisement

@scarlet6 Welcome! Unfortunately unless you're offering more than ideas it is going to be extremely difficult to build and maintain a team. Generally you need to offer either skills such as programming, art, or audio unless of course you're paying for the help. Ideas are easy to come by and a dime a dozen. The real work is in the implementation which brings life to the idea and the skill and ability far out weighs being the “idea person”. In my experience ideas are pulled from anyone on the team. It is also a good idea to have every team member with some form of ownership in the idea and overall concept of the game, otherwise they're just working hard to produce what someone else wants (this of course is different if the work is paid).

Have you considered picking up either art or programming? I'm not going to suggest audio just because I rarely see sfx and/or music composers build teams, they're usually brought in by an established team unless they're already forming a team within their network or outsourced. If you have programming skills you can build a prototype and gain potential interest with mediocre graphics or just placeholders, or if you're an artist you can generate a lot of nice concept art and game arts to visually prototype and try to seek out a programmer.

If you want to get into either programming or art (2D, 3D, or both) let me know and I'll reference some resources.

Programmer and 3D Artist

Hi, Scarlett!

As Rutin already said having an idea is just the beginning, if you wanna bring together a team you have to at least understand the roles you need and how you can contribute to your own game.

To understand this a bit better, I advise you to watch this video:

And then there's this playlist for specifics, since you have an idea, I think you will get interest on game design, which will help you to design the game experience in order to your idea impact as you want.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5DuIIh7p9FOaR6f-WTTzz_A

After understanding a bit better the roles, I would suggest of participating of a few game jams and experiment a few roles to see how you can contribute on the game development. There's another good playlist on that:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhyKYa0YJ_5C6QC36h5eApOyXtx98ehGi

I think that's good to start. Good luck!

Maybe start with a concept document/pitch at the very least. It helps give it more credibility. Your best bet is to try and come up with a prototype though. Prototypes sell ideas better than anything.

None

Hey ther, i am unity developer for almost 10 years .

Modeler/animator/programer

This is my portfolio all made solo every aspect of it

https://shayisraeli.journoportfolio.com

Will be glad to hear from you and form a team together

Discord: shay#2634

Whatsapp: +9720559411590

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement