🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

"Better" Processor??

Started by
21 comments, last by Ronald Forbes 24 years, 4 months ago
first off, I would agree with G4''s being the best processor , but I am also anti-mac. The OS sucks, so for best PC processor it is the Athlon overall. With Intel''s Coppermine supposedly it will go faster than the Athlon with DDR ram.

All about the Cyrix?
Advertisement
gee all i ever wanted was a sparq
Unfortunately you wont be able to find a dual K7 motherbiard just yet. AMD is really concentrating on gaining a firm foothold in the high-end market before it goes into the server market.

Its working really well too, Pee3''s are pretty much not available in quantities anymore, Intel has been having some MAJOR problems switching to copper interconnects, so they have delayed the copper switchover again.

There are absolutely no official Pee3''s on sale in Europe (unless they have been stored in a stock room since before 2 months ago), and they are really rare here.

do you realise that its been 52 days since Intel announced the Pee3 800, and its still no-where to be seen?

Meanwhile, AMD had the 800 MHz K7 available a week before it was announced. Historically, a processor is supposed to be available to buy a week after announcement.

So, the best bet would be to buy an athlon

the thing i hate though... AMD demoed a 1.2 GHz k7 the other day, air cooled, at .25 micron, so i know that amd could release a 1GHz k7 right now... but they aren''t! BAH! they are waiting for Intel to catch up.

by the way, please, no mac vs pc wars...

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Some prices to compare(btw, a K7 500 is faster than a pee3 600):

K6-2 450 - 52$
K6-2 500 - 79$
K6-2 533 - 119$

K7 500 is off the market already.
K7 550 - 219$
K7 600 - 249$
K7 650 - 299$
K7 700 - 499$
K7 750 - 639$
K7 800 - 839$

(these are the only intel processors available in the US at this time, excluding celerons)
P2 350 - 149$
P2 400 - 169$

P3 500 - 269$
P3 550 - 389$
P3 600 - 515$

Pee3 600 is 266$ more than the K7 600...
I find that hilarious, what brain dead moron would buy intel...

A man said to the universe:
"Sir I exist!"
"However," replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Staffan, Zer, try BeOS. You can buy, for example, four 400 MHz processors and get a 1.6 GHz machine. Near-zero loss of power, and almost the same price as a brand new top-of-the-line. And all apps automatically take advantage of multiple processors just by running under it!

And no, I don''t work for them. I just think they kick ass! Check it out! I have no idea why the whole industry isn''t flocking yet... use your AMDs, PPCs and Intels, whatever.

Lack
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
LackOfKnack - Go back and read the BeOS post from a few days ago...there''s all the reasons I don''t run BeOS.
Oh, yeah! I forgot you were the one who said that. Well, there''s a demo CD for $10, anyway... and I think the full''s on sale for $70 or something. Oh well, I guess that was more directed at Zer, then.

Lack
Lack
Christianity, Creation, metric, Dvorak, and BeOS for all!
"Pee3 600 is 266$ more than the K7 600...
I find that hilarious, what brain dead moron would buy intel..."-Mithrandir

Amen to that
"four 400 MHz processors and get a 1.6 GHz machine"

Wouldn''t it be nice if it were that simple? Truth is, the overhead of managing multiple CPU configurations, at least on a desktop machine, starts to outweigh the benefits after adding too many chips (that limit is higher than 4, of course, but not by much). A dual machine is not twice as fast, nor is a quad machine 4 times faster than a single CPU machine. It''s definitely faster though...and definitely worth bragging rights.
------When thirsty for life, drink whisky. When thirsty for water, add ice.
LackOfKnack - Yeah I guess $10 isnt that expensive - but, I think I''ll just wait untill the free (yes!! finally!) version (R5 isn''t it?) is released .

-- Staffan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement